Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Lorax and Jupiter

Ella:  "Do you know that if you swallow a big breath of air that you'll need braces?" 
Mom:  "No.  Where did you hear that?"
Ella:  "I saw it on the Lorax.  I watch a lot of movies."

Ella is learning about the solar system at school.  I'm not sure what they teach her in New Zealand, but very different than I remember....
Ella:  "Do you know the big red spot on Jupiter?"
Mom:  "Yes."
Ella:  "It's actually a flag.  Australia was the first one to land there and they put their flag there."

Ella:  "My favorite authors are Lynley Dodd and Margaret Mahy.  They're both New Zealand authors."
Mom:  "Ella, you're good at writing.  Maybe you should be an author?  There's people that have to write books and then other people that draw the pictures."
Ella:  "Oh, you mean an illustrator?"

Sometimes I can't understand my own Kiwi daughter.  Driving to school this AM, Ella and Owen and I were thinking of words that start with the letter "S".
Ella:  "Slee"
Mom:  "Slee is not a word."
Ella:  "Yes it is.  It's kind of like a sleed that you ride in the snow". 
I figured it out - "slee" is how kiwi's pronounce "sleigh" and "sleed" is how kiwi's pronounce "sled"!

Ella:  "In the olden days, they didn't have computers.  They had typer machines.  You'd put in the paper and push the buttons and it would go, Clippety, Clappety, Clip.  And then the note would come out the top!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous